Drawing of the Eskimo Nebula

During the observing weekend in Grandpré last year in November, I took the time to make a sketch of NGC 2392, the Eskimo Nebula. It took a lot longer than expected, but today I can finally present the finished drawing.

It was a very humid night. The paper I was drawing on became very wet already after a few minutes. Because of the weather circumstances, higher magnifications were not possible. The Eskimo Nebula is clearly blue and has a bright central star. Around the central star, the nebula is darker. Further away, there is a bright ring. The outer parts of the nebula disappear in the background.

I made the drawing in Krita, a free digital painting and illustration application. Because I am not used to drawing, it took a while before I could finish a drawing I'm happy with.

Things to keep in mind:
  • It was not possible to use higher magnifications this night, but planetary nebulae really need more magnification.
  • I am happy with the stars I have drawn. They are more or less in the correct spot. I attach a DSS image of the Eskimo Nebula to compare them.
  • I really need to work more with Krita to improve the final result.

Drawing of NGC 2392 - The Eskimo Nebula

The DSS image of NGC 2392 to compare the positions of the stars.

You can see my observation in DeepskyLog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing an ASA AZ800 in the observatory at work

Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas

Adhesive felt on the Obsession